Ryan was at home woodworking in his garage this summer when his wife and Research nursing leader, Jennifer, screamed for him to come upstairs. She was in the kitchen frying donuts, and had turned away from the stove for a moment when the boiling oil erupted into flames.
Ryan ran to assist and immediately he knew the fire was too large to contain with baking soda. Impulsively, he picked up the pan and ran onto the deck with it. The searing oil spilled onto his arms and hands. Then he felt the fire climbing up his shirt so he dropped and rolled on the lawn.
Jennifer immediately called 9-1-1. Ryan was first seen in the Emergency Room at Centerpoint Medical Center, then was transported by ambulance to the Grossman Burn Center at Research Medical Center where he was treated for second-degree burns.